Monday, May 14, 2007

Et-Jay Ag-Lay

I am awake at 6:56 am.

The only possible reason for this is jet lag. We got home from Japan on Saturday morning. I didn't get to sleep until 5am Sunday morning and slept until 4:30 in the afternoon. It was one of those sleeps where you close your eyes and open them again thinking it's only been 30 minutes, but actually it's been 12 hours. I was back in bed reading by 6:30pm that same night, but I couldn't even handle reading and fell asleep again until 9:30pm. That's 15 hours of sleep. Crikey. Thus I haven't been able to sleep at all for the rest of last night and I'm up at 7am blogging.

Japan was great. There's too much to tell so I'll just say it with photos.

This Australian is very happy to learn that you can drink beer in train stations and that beer is available in vending machines.


Mr G crusing the Osaka streets, little does he know that we're a block away from the love-hotel district...


My first Japanese meal in Japan. It was sashimi on the 27th floor of some swanky department store in Osaka.


Mr. G getting used to our new living arrangements in back country Japan:


Just a sample of some of the yummy food we had in Japan. Most of the restaurants/Japanese people we came across were surprised that we
a) could use chopsticks
and
b) liked raw fish
We went to a Japanese sushi feast at my brother's in laws house and they had a bunch of fried foods as well as sashimi and nigiri and they were all shocked that we went for the raw fish instead of the fried foods!!!



Here is my sister in law in her kimono. The day before the wedding she had to visit her neighbors to inform them of her impending marriage.




The in-laws took us to see the local sights, including an example of an old house, with these interesting medievel like carved stones:





Ladies and gentlemen, my husband:


.. country road, take me home, country road....


These are photos of the Shizutani Buddhist School up in the hills of Okayama Prefecture... it's a beautiful retreat. It was the site of the first school in Japan meant for the general population and not for the upper class elite.





There were a bunch of school children there for a field trip.


Apparently they thought Mr. G was a rock star:


more photos later...

need to make some coffee.

Oh and be on the lookout, I need to weed out my yarn stash so stay tuned for a destash sale, including some yarns from Rowan, Crystal Palace, Goddess Yarns, and maybe some GGH...

GG

No comments: