Monday, January 03, 2005

Hi Ho Hi Ho It's Back To Work I Go

Sometimes I wake up and wish that I was still in university with less responsibility, fewer bills and more time on my hands.

Top ten things I would do if I were unemployed and rich:

10: get up earlier
9: go to a museum every day
8 write every day
7 exercise every day
6 travel everywhere
5 keep my office clean
4 hang out with my friends more
3 read the ny times daily
2 read a book every day
1 see a movie every night
(1.a: eat at a restaurant after every film to discuss)

Ah fantasies.

I cooked something fabulous tonight: I splurged and bought two tuna steaks.

Angela's Seared Tuna

Ingredients:
2 Tuna Steaks fresh from the market
4 tablespoons of olive oil
pepper mill

Directions:
heat fry pan on medium high heat. Whilst pan is heating, rub 2 tablespoons olive oil onto each steak. Wash your hands, then grind a light coating of fresh ground pepper on one side of the steak. Place the steak in the hot fry pan and coat the opposite side with ground pepper. Watch steak closely from the side as it will cook very quickly. The tuna will turn white as it cooks. When the cooked part reaches close to the middle of the steak, flip the steak, cook until the other side is almost all white, but there should still be a slightly discernable bit of pink still in the middle of the steak. This should take less than 5 minutes per steak.

The idea is that you should have this spicey-crispy-seared outside, which contrasts with the yummy silky inside of the steak. Pair this with a wasabi soy sauce and you're good to go.

I like lots of veggies with my fish. Something sweet would go nice with the spiceyness of the tuna, which is why I like to use the following salad, it has a nice fruity taste that allows you to enjoy the flavor of the fish.

Angela's fruity salad

Ingredients:
European Salad Mix (spinach, frisee, arugula etc)
1 Mango
1 Cucumber
1 Avocado
1 bunch of green onions, finely chopped
salt & pepper to taste

for the dressing:
1/2 orange
1 lime
4 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons dijon mustard
2 tblsp olive oil

For the salad:
Add the loosely chopped fruits and veggies to the European mix, season with salt and pepper.

For the dressing:
Squeeze the juice of half an orange into a mixing bowl, along with the juice of 1 lime. Combine with rice wine vinegar. Add the dijon mustard and mix with a whisk until combined. Slowly add olive oil as you whisk to create an emulsion. Add salt and pepper to taste.

No comments: