Saturday, June 03, 2006

Cloud Nine

The knitters out there must have had this dream before: they're somewhere strange, surrounded by unlabeled boxes and a voice tells them "open the boxes, go ahead open the boxes" and you start opening the boxes and there's carton after carton of beautiful yarn. Gorgeous yarn, in delicious colors and textures. You open so many boxes that you're entirely surrounded in balls of yarn. To the point where you create a bed of yarn and you roll around in it, like a lottery winner rolling around in money. But then you realize to your horror that you don't have any knitting needles!

And then you wake up.

Yesterday at work, I learned how to restock our yarn inventory. This entails some pretty laborious activity, but because it's yarn, I'm the happiest girl in the world. In fact, this task was very similar to the above dream, because you're opening neverending boxes of yarn, each of them very inviting. Everyone thinks I'm crazy at work, because I love it so much and it's not like I'm doing anything particularly glamourous. It's filing and order processing and answering phones, but because its in an industry that I LOVE I'm instantly gratified. Perhaps it was because I was told that later this month we will be receiving a 16 wheeled container full of yarn.

I'm learning that work in itself is not glamorous. Which is why it's so very important to discover what it is you really love. Because you will do anything for something or someone you love. It's very simple.

I only just realized how much I loved knitting this year. It was back when I was complaining about the oscars when it dawned on me that I loved knitting more than I loved film. Considering that I studied film in college that was a pretty big realization.

So those of you out there who are trying to figure out what you want to do with your life, discover the thing that comes the easiest to you. Discover the most productive skill that you love. Oftentimes it will be very surprising what that skill will be. I thought that I would be a photographer or a filmmaker or a writer, but these occupations never came naturally to me. I never thought that I would become obsessed with knitting.

Well, one of the biggest things I've learned in my twenties is that love is always where you're least expecting it, and when you're not looking for it.

Take it or leave it.

GG

1 comment:

Christie said...

totally taken...totally agree...